Monday, November 15, 2010

Fighting Procrastination - Just Do It

Today makes the 2nd week that I have not made soap.  I am trying to get to the bottom of my apprehension.  I haven't had a failed batch or any other bad experience and I would like to take part in some local Christmas Craft Fairs so I really should be preparing for those by making soap.  But, I start the day with the best intentions and at the end of the day I have nothing done.
This seems to be a constant problem that creeps it's way into my life at the most inopportune times. I have been researching how to overcome/cure procrastination and found the following information courtesy of Ways to Overcome and Cure Procrastination

1. Divide and conquer. A big task can look too big to tackle at times, as it is so intimidating and overwhelming. This is why you have to break the task into smaller, more manageable ones, and go through them one by one, as if each one was an important task on its own.
2. Use the reward system. To give you an incentive, or a boost in motivation to do a certain task, give yourself a small reward if you accomplish it on time. Whether it's a certain food you treat yourself to, or a gift you buy yourself, it doesn't matter, as long as it inspires you enough to get the job done.
3. Don't waste any time. Sometimes, you may not do something because you feel like you don't have the time to finish it. Try looking at such a situation from another perspective. Tell yourself, 'how much can I get done, in the time I have left?' Do as much as you can in the time you have, and soon, you will notice that you're not lagging behind that much anymore.
4. Have a "to do" list. It's always better to write things down then to have it just sitting there in our mind, where it can get lost with all our other thoughts. Therefore, write down all the things that you are putting off, and keep this list in clear sight, so that you are reminded of it. Then, as you do each task, cross them off, and go down the list. You will not believe the wonderful feeling of accomplishment as you cross all the items on your list!
5. Clean environment = clearer mind. Try putting things in your office or home in order, and keep it tidy and clean. Being in order helps to cure procrastination, as you feel less overwhelmed by all the papers and such lying around your space, and cleaning creates a discipline that can help you when it's time to do a certain task.
6. End of day preparations. At the end of each day, go over all that you have to do the next day, creating a schedule, and thus making you aware of what's to come tomorrow. This will mentally prepare you for what's ahead instead of being surprised and feeling in over your head.


Ok, I am going to start Operation End Procrastination today, by trying #4 and making a To Do List for today:

To Do List for 11/15/2010

  1. Make 2 batches of soap
  2. Finish labeling cured soap
  3. List Finished soap on my ArtFire Studio
How do you overcome procrastination?

I will post the results of my to do list tomorrow, that's if I don't procrastinate! 


No comments:

Post a Comment