Friday, July 30, 2010

Another Soap Mold Bites the Dust!

Ok, I had the smart idea to try a soap process called CPOP (Cold Process-Oven Process) This is the process where you prepare your soap using the Cold Process method, and once you put the soap into the mold, you put the mold into an oven pre-heated to 170 degrees.  Leave the oven on for 1 hour, turn the oven off and leave the soap in the oven till morning.  And that is exactly what I did.  This is what the mold looked like prior to putting it in the oven 


I did not line the mold with plastic wrap, like it is in this picture, but I thought it looked oven proof.  Well, as you will see in the next pic I was sadly mistaken.
I made a pretty basic recipe; using 16oz of oils; Palm oil, Olive oil, Coconut oil, Soybean oil & castor oil.  I will post the recipe at the end of the post (if anyone is interested)
I stirred (with a stick blender) to a medium trace, added my FO which accelerated trace, so I put the soap in the mold and put into my oven. I checked it several times during the hour the oven was on; then I turned off the oven and went to sleep. And in the morning..


Oh My! The bottom and sides bowed, this is a complete loss as it was a take apart mold and it wont come back together anymore :( 


This is what it looked like from the top. 


























Luckily I was able to remove the soap from the mold and cut it.  But, the soap on the top looked darker than the rest of the soap.  So I am wondering if the soap it gonna turn the darker color as it cures or will I just have to remove the darker part from the soap.


The finished soap! Scented with "Butt Naked" Fragrance Oil (smells soooo good!)




RIP to my 1lb mold, this is the 2nd one pound mold to go to the mold graveyard.  This mold will join my wooden mold.....
















As you can see, his death was much more violent. LOL! :) 




Stay tuned for my next post...how to make a soap mold.  because I cannot keep buying molds, just to throw them out. 


Anyone have any suggestions for a good soap mold or instructions to make a soap mold for someone who's woodworking skills are less than stellar?

1 comment:

  1. I buy my soap molds from www.candlesandwoodcrafts.com. I CPOP all of my soap using these molds, and I've yet to have a problem. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete